While Florida winters aren’t typically as harsh as those in the northern states, it’s still essential to have your HVAC system in top shape to ensure comfort and efficiency during the cooler months. If you don’t have Total Comfort taking care of things, here’s a maintenance checklist to get your HVAC system winter-ready in Florida:
- Air Filter Replacement:
- Replace or clean your air filters regularly. A clogged filter can force the system to work harder, leading to increased energy consumption and a reduced lifespan. ***(Because of the multitude of filter sizes, Total Comfort suggests that you maintain a few spare filters in case we don’t have an exact match)
- Thermostat Check:
- Ensure that the thermostat is working correctly and is set to the “heat” setting. Consider upgrading to a programmable or smart thermostat to enhance energy efficiency.
- Inspect Heating Elements:
- For homes with heat pumps or furnaces, have a professional with Total Comfort inspect the heating elements to ensure they’re functioning correctly.
- Ductwork Inspection:
- Check for leaks, dust, mold, or any obstructions. Sealing any leaks can improve efficiency and save you money. (Sealing ductwork is not included in Total Comfort’s maintenance)
- Outdoor Unit:
- Remove any debris (like leaves, twigs, or grass) from around the outdoor unit. Keep the surrounding area clear for optimal airflow and efficiency.
- Ensure that the outdoor unit is level. Over time, the pad upon which the heat pump is installed can shift, potentially causing the unit to tilt.
- Electrical Connections:
- Inspect all electrical connections to ensure they’re secure. Loose connections can be hazardous and can cause inefficient operation.
- Check the condensate drain for clogs. In heat mode, a heat pump can produce water due to the defrost cycle. Ensure that water can flow freely.
- Lubricate all moving parts (unless they’re permanently sealed). This can reduce the risk of parts wearing out prematurely.
- Blower Motor:
- Check the blower motor and its components. Adjust the blower components if necessary to provide proper system airflow, which can increase comfort levels.
- Check Refrigerant Levels:
- If you have a heat pump, have Total Comfort ensure that the refrigerant levels are correct. Incorrect refrigerant levels can reduce the efficiency of your system.
- Professional Inspection:
- Total Comfort’s maintenance technicians can give your system a thorough check. They can catch issues that might be overlooked by the average homeowner.
- Test the System:
- Before it gets too cold, test your heating system to make sure it’s working correctly. It’s better to discover issues now than on the coldest day of the year.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector:
- If you have a furnace, make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. Test it and replace the batteries if needed.
By following this maintenance checklist or having Total Comfort do it, you can ensure that your HVAC system will keep you warm and comfortable during Florida’s winter months, and run more efficiently, saving you money on your energy bills.
Total Comfort also offers yearly maintenance agreements and serves all of Volusia and Flagler whether you’re in Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, Holly Hill, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, New Smyrna, Deland or and community within Volusia and Flagler.
Our Service Areas and Hours
Total Comfort provides commercial and residential electrical service in Volusia and Flagler County, including Ormond Beach, Flagler, Palm Coast, Bunnell, Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach Shores, South Daytona, Ponce Inlet, Deltona, Deland, Holly Hill, Edgewater, Port Orange and New Smyrna Beach.
Total Comfort regular service hours are: Monday-Saturday 8am-5pm. 24-Hour Emergency Service Available. When you call outside of our service hours, a live person takes your call 24 hours a day. Our manager on call has access to a whole team to respond to your needs including sales and emergency situations.
Schedule an appointment:
We know life is hectic and your time is valuable which is why our professional technicians honor your scheduled appointment time. Please Note: This will not schedule an automatic appointment. When the form is submitted we will contact you ASAP to schedule the appointment.